Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cabinets of Curiosity



Some of the old books that I find in op shops are damaged but I can use them to make interesting paper sculptures. The paper in old books is usually lovely and thick so you can fold it and it will hold its shape.

This winter I started making what I called "Cabinets of Curiosity" (two miniature ones are pictured below) and the challenge was to make paper sculptures small enough to fit into the cabinets.


These are some cushions I made with pieces of vintage leather which I found - one side is leather and the other is deckchair canvas which I got from one of my favourite shops - Ici et La in North Perth.

Underneath are some brooches I made with old bakelite buckles framing pictures from old books. I am hoping to sell some of these at the next market I take part in.


And these are two of my smallest Cabinets of Curiosity. These ones are made using old cigar boxes but I have made bigger ones using discarded wooden drawers which are currently on display at Behind The Monkey in Highgate.


No comments:

Post a Comment